If you are in sales or marketing and you’ve tried to utilize Salesforce Campaigns for attribution, you know that properly naming Salesforce Campaigns in a consistent and scalable way is nearly impossible.
Over the last several years I’ve helped countless high-growth companies implement and utilize Salesforce Campaigns to track KPIs, measure multi-touch attribution, and more. Over time, I’ve developed best practices and a framework for naming Salesforce Campaigns that I’m going to outline in this article.
- Keep it simple
- Enable grouping, slicing, and filtering of Campaign data
- Utilize Salesforce Campaigns as a way to align sales & marketing
- Make it human readable
- Utilize standard Salesforce fields as much as possible
- Breakout key components into separate fields
- Utilize Google Analytics cookies and UTM parameters to limit the number of Salesforce Campaigns you need to create
[Status] [Name] [Type] via [GA Medium] from [GA Source] engaging with [GA Content] searching [GA Term]
- Downloaded ABM for Dummies eBook via PPC from Google Adwords engaging with Banner Ad 10 searching “Account-Based Marketing Guide”
- Attended Account-centric Sales 101 Webinar via Retargeting from RollWorks engaging with Ad Creative #3
- Did Not Attend ABX from 0 to 60 Event via Email from House Database engaging with Email A
Breakdown of Framework
Campaign Name (standard SFDC field on Campaign)
- What is the event/asset name?
- ABM 101
- Account-centric Sales
- How to deploy ABM in 7 days
- Measuring ABM Success
Campaign Type (standard SFDC field on Campaign)
- What was it?
- Case Study
Member Status (standard SFDC field on Campaign Member)
- What action did they take?
- Did Not Attend
GA Medium (custom SFDC field on Campaign Member)
- How did they get it?
- Paid Social
- Organic Search
GA Source (custom SFDC field on Campaign Member)
- Where did they get it from?
- Google Adwords
- House Database
- Facebook Ads
GA Content (custom SFDC field on Campaign Member)
- Which call-to-action or content-targeted ad was engaged with?
- Homepage Banner
- Creative Ad #5
- Footer CTA
How to Implement, Automate, and Analyze
In our follow-up blog post, we discuss in-depth how to implement and automate using Google Analtyic cookies, Google Tag Manager, your favorite marketing automation platform and Salesforce.